Thursday, August 11, 2011

A Cake for a Worthy Cause

You may remember the ladybug cake I did for Kylie via the Icing Smiles Foundation that I showed you here.

After that experience, I realized I had been bit by the bug.  No pun intended....

I loved having the opportunity to create something special for someone who really deserved it.  Someone who may not have the opportunity, means, or even the inclination to obtain a custom cake to celebrate an important occasion.

I learned that I had a valuable opportunity to give something that was unique and really very special to both the recipient and me personally.

In looking at what I do, I realize that from the outside it may only seem like...well...a cake.  You sing happy birthday, for he's a jolly good fellow, etc, you cut it up and it's dessert.  But, since I have been in this world of creative confections, I have come to intimately understand how personal this is.  When you create a custom cake, cookies, cupcakes, etc, you are creating a centerpiece for a gathering, event, or occasion that will be remembered for years to come.  Not only is it in the all too important candle blowing photos, many times custom cakes serve as the main focal point to the entire decor, a talking point for mingling, and really is an opportunity to reflect the recipient's personal interests, personality and favorite things.

This alone is special combined with the fact that so much effort, time, and personal investment goes into each project on my part, that I truly feel that I am an important part of their important day.  Even when I am not....invited :o)
This leads me to today's post.  After the experience with Icing Smiles, I wanted more opportunities to contribute in this way.  But the question was how....

I remembered that there was a children's shelter located in the area for children in circumstances of abuse and neglect.  Children who have been removed from their families for one reason or another for their own safety and well being.  This was my cause.  This was the perfect fit.

I contacted the people over at Casa de Amparo to see about donating birthday cakes for the participants of their organization.  Kids I knew probably never really had special birthday cakes.  It took several weeks to set up this new relationship, but boy was I ever super excited.

This week I made my very first birthday cake for the folks over at Casa de Amparo.  There were 5 birthdays this month, so I incorporated all the names on the top tier. 


See!... more polka dots as promised.  This time with randomly set colors.  I liked the look.  What do you think?





And a crazy loopy bow to top it off!

Looking at it in retrospect...it sorta looks like a baby shower cake.  Oops!  But I really liked the overall look.  I love the mod dots, and the colors are summery and fit for a boy or a girl without being too girly.  Boys are always tricky, and this cake was for 4 guys and 1 gal.

Thanks for stopping by!

Flour Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment