Monday, September 26, 2011

Progress....

In general, if given a choice, I don't prefer to repeat designs.  I certainly will if requested, but I truly enjoy the creative process involved in creating a new or tweaked design.  Of course, when a repeat is requested, I feel a sense of validation in that the original design had great appeal, but a part of me feels a slight sense of disappointment that there will be no new creative energy in that project.  In short, I feel like I should constantly be looking forward rather than looking back.

This being said, I have to also acknowledge the value in looking back at my work.  Trying to not obsess about the flaws, what I could have, should have done differently or better, but to see my progress.  To really let that sink in.

Last week afforded me this very opportunity.  I created a wedding cake which was a repeat of an old design.  My very first wedding cake for that matter.  A part of me cringed a tad when the request was made mostly because my personal design style and aesthetic has changed drastically.  Not that I cannot appreciate the appeal, but just that I probably would not choose to create this design at this point.  But, of course the wedding cake is not about me....right? ;o)

So, here is the first photo, my very first wedding cake, my very first cake of this size overall....no giggles please...




So, looking at this photo, and looking at the new version....the differences that I note are vast.  My personal preferences of basic cake construction have changed, my techniques have improved, and I have slightly de-cluttered the design to both appease my aesthetic a bit more without altering the overall feel of the look for the bride.



You will notice (I hope) a cleaner finish, taller tiers, better piping and artistry, and an overall improvement in presentation.  Also, I think my photos have improved notably, which  makes a big difference as well in my opinion.

What a difference 18 months of caking can make!  Progress....

Thanks for looking.

Flour Girl

1 comment: