Monday, September 19, 2011

Bunting for a Baby Boy

You would think that a rough finish on a buttercream cake would be super simple, that it would be a very natural thing to do, actually.  Really, it is NOT.  I really pride myself on my straight smooth sides and sharp corners.  It took a while to find the techniques that worked best for me, and once I did...it became, well...obsessive.  Doing a rough finish is very time consuming and takes a surprising amount of effort to get the right look.

I have also been wanting to do a cake for some time now that involved bunting.  It seems to be all the rage all over the place online, and also goes well with many different occassions.  I have to say, I loved it.

I was asked to make a baby shower cake for a baby boy with no specific theme involved.  Just a color scheme which mirrored the chosen linens for the nursery and the sweet baby's name.  This is what I did:



I did a rough, rustic finish on the buttercream, let it set, then went back over and semi-smoothed the peaks to end up with a different look.  I have seen several rustic buttercream cakes that had an almost plaster-like finish that really appealed to me.  This was my first attempt, and I liked the look.

I made fondant pendants and strung them on navy blue ribbon and added the baby's name for a vinatge-y fun look, as well as uneven random drapings and buttons.  A fabric rose was added to soften the look a touch.

Hope you like it as much as I do.

Flour Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment