Monday, July 18, 2011

My Little Princess

Is it me or is the Princess craze much more prevalent now than say...20 years ago.  I really don't remember the Princess thing being so popular when I was a kid.  Maybe I'm wrong. 

I assume that has much to do with the tremendous marketing and merchandising by Disney over the last couple decades.  Disney Princesses are EVERYWHERE!  I remember my thing was Strawberry Shortcake...  I loved her.  Ask my sister...she would be more than happy to explicitly  make fun of  describe my love of that sweet little, strawberry scented red head and her strawberry house.  My love for her may or may not have been slightly displaced by my obsession with strawberries.  What is that all about?  I have literally had a strawberry cake, strawberry shortcake, or some other strawberry dessert every birthday...seriously, every birthday.

My first birthday (before there were smash cakes!)


Well, as it does fairly often, the Princess theme arose for a 6th birthday celebration this past weekend.  I was shooting for a tutu look and was using the ruffle on the cookies to mirror this idea.  The request was for mainly light pink, with a second shade of pink, and a girlie-girl Princess feel all the way.  They wanted to go with a small 3 tier, so we decided on an 8", 6", 4" mini tiered cake.  So, this is what I came up with:

(why does pink and purple always look distorted when photographed??? grrr)



This was not my first ride on the princess train...



This was a cake created for an actual Princes....err, Queen I suppose.  This cake was created for an event for Miss Baja California.  This was actually one of my first large cakes.  Though I was very proud of it at the time, I truly see how far I have come since then.

This was a super cute cupcake tower created for a little girl named Quincy who is nicknamed Queen-Cee.  How adorable is that?  So, quite fittingly, little tiara clad "Q"s were included in the design.




This one was for a princess tea party themed birthday complete with tea and hot pink tutus for all the princess guests!  How over the top cute is that?!?  The tiara and teacup cookies were favors for the guests.

So, each time the Princess theme rears it's head, it is a challenge to create something new, something different...a new spin on a common theme.  I hope I accomplished that this go 'round and the little Birthday Princess was happy with her Princess sweets.

Thanks for stopping by.

Flour Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment