Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Cupcakes for a Girl's Girl


Last week I was so happy to make some very girlie-girl cupcakes that were for a surprise birthday party.  I have to admit that I am not always so certain about cupcake designs.  I truly feel that they are an entirely different skill set than cakes.  I think I have done well with the designs that I have done in the past, but I feel that I excel most with cake design.  I think it is the small scale that gets me every time.  I think I have ogre hands for miniature modeling....errrr, maybe I just have an ogre hand complex.

So, back to these cupcakes.  This was funny because the birthday girl's friend contacted me on the birthday girl's husband's behalf to work on some cupcake ideas for her surprise party.  He had a very vague idea of what he wanted and the only real direction I received was that she loves pink and purple, and that she loves glam, so they need to be fabulous. 

Hmmmmmm, what was I to do?  At first I was stumped.  I really didn't want to do run of the mill toppers that you see all over the internet, I didn't want them to be too cutsy.....

Then I received a text from the birthday girl herself asking if I would be able to make a birthday cake....She was wanting to request her own birthday cake.

OMG...how do I respond?  Does she know?  Is the cat out of the bag?  So, I try to play it cool and simply say "sure, let me know what you are thinking" 

Haha, this started a whole thing on the back end.  We wanted to draw out what she wanted, specifically, then I was to back out so she thought there'd be no special birthday cake after all, to be surprised with exactly what she requested.

Well... this never happened.  As the day drew closer, I had nothing to go on.  With just a couple days lead time to allow drying, this is what I came up with per the few details I was given to work with.



 Chanel Clutch
 Chanel Tote
 Lipstick and Nail Polish
Flowers and sprinkles, and also pink and purple bows (pictured somewhere up above).


I used gold foil cupcake wrappers and gold dragees to glam it up a bit.  I would say I am more of a silver person, but I totally loved this look in person.

Well, the birthday girl was surprised! 

Mission accomplished.

Thanks for stopping by,

Flour Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment